see also DAY, WEEK
- a period of 365 days; a period of twelve months: year
The diploma course takes a full year. ◎ The house is over 200 years old. ◎ I'm hoping to finish my book in another year, or a year and a half. ◎ We last saw them about a year ago.
- the year from January to December: year
I can't remember which year my grandfather was born in. ◎ the year 2000
- a year which has 366 days: leap year
- a period of 10 years: decade
- a period of 100 years: century
in the 18th century
- the period between 1920 and 1929: the twenties; between 1930 and 1939: the thirties; etc
Do you like sixties music?
- a celebration of sth that happened 100 years ago: centenary (AmE centennial)
- a celebration of sth that happened 200 years ago: bicentenary (AmE bicentennial)
- one of the twelve periods into which the year is divided; a period of about four weeks: month
at the beginning/end of the month ◎ I waited a full month before I decided to phone them. ◎ I normally see her about once a month. ◎ We'll be meeting again in a month. ◎ 'How old is she now?' 'She's nearly six months.'
- the twelve months of the year: January, February, March, April, May, June, July, August, September, October, November, December
I'm going to France in June. ◎ on 23rd January
- abbreviations for the names of the months: Jan, Feb, Mar, Apr, May, Jun, Jul, Aug, Sept, Oct, Nov, Dec
- happening every year: yearly (adjective, adverb), annual (adverb annually)
an annual sales conference ◎ The exhibition is held annually.
- every six months: half-yearly (adjective, adverb)
at half-yearly intervals ◎ We get a full report half-yearly.
- a period of three months: quarter; happening every three months: quarterly (adjective, adverb)
I pay my telephone bill quarterly.
- once a month: monthly (adjective, adverb)
a monthly magazine ◎ I'm paid monthly.
- in the middle of (a month, year, etc): mid (only before a noun)
I'm leaving my job in mid-April.
- the month/year before this one: last month/year
- the month/year after this one: next month/year
- two months/years before this one: the month/year before last
- two months/years after this one: the month/year after next
- one of the four periods into which the year is divided: season; happening or existing at a particular time of the year: seasonal
seasonal work ◎ Many jobs in the tourist industry are only seasonal.
※ more on the seasons SEASON